Contact Us Today (386) 506-8898

U VISAS For Victims of Crime


If you were the victim of a crime that you or someone else reported to law enforcement, you may be eligible for a U nonimmigrant status (a “U Visa”).

There are several requirements you must meet in order to qualify for a U Visa.  First, the crime must be a “qualifying criminal activity,” which includes, but is not limited to, domestic violence, robbery, and sexual assault.  In addition, you must not have refused to assist the authorities if they asked for your help during the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

Often, one of the most challenging aspects of a U Visa cases is showing that you suffered the required level of physical or mental harm as a result of the crime.  Although mental harm can be as bad, or even worse, than physical harm, USCIS denies many cases by finding that the mental harm was not “bad” enough.  If you are applying for a U Visa, it is very important to include strong evidence with your application to avoid denial.  

If you are a crime victim, call us to discuss your options.  The U Visa could provide you, along with certain family members, with a path to permanent residence. 

Contact Us Today

Kosobucki & Tessier PLLC is committed to answering your questions about U.S. Immigration law issues.

We'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.